Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Pass a shot



Don't people usually drink alcohol when they're depressed? I mean, do I have that wrong? I know that people drink to celebrate things so that means they drink when they're happy but really, I always associate heavy drinking with sadness. Maybe it's just me.

Apparently it's just me.

In Ireland --a place I associate with drinking alcohol-- the economy has gotten so bad and the unemployment rate so high that people have pretty much quit drinking alcohol. Ok, not everyone has quit drinking but alcohol consumption has dropped 21% since 2001.

Pubs are closing at an alarming rate of one every day and 15,000 people have lost their pub related jobs.  
"It was the worst year for our industry in living memory," Kieran Tobin, chairman of the Drinks Industry Group of Ireland (DIGI), told a news conference in a central Dublin pub.

It's estimated that Ireland has lost $135.1 million dollars in revenue from the recent decline in alcohol sales. That's a lot of Irish Whiskey not being enjoyed.


post signature

5 COMMENTS:

Doris Sturm said...

Yeah, that--- and a lot of livers being saved too ;-)

Speaking of livers, I'm scheduled for a liver biopsy on the 30th - wish me luck because I don't want to take the treatments!

Love you,
Doris :-)

william manson said...

WELL I think its common place worldwide, people drink for many reasons and I dont think depression is the major factor xx

maryt/theteach said...

Kathy, I have tagged you for Hershey's Better Basket Blog Hop. Come see. :)

Unknown said...

Going to the pub and possibly drinking require funds. And discretionary spending like that is the first to go.

Short Poems said...

Kathy,your blog is really nice, I enjoyed reading it :)

Marinela

Post a Comment

If you can't fix it with duct tape, you haven't used enough.

You should really comment if you're here. It would make me very happy. I thrive on attention. You should know this by now. You should automatically click on the comment button and say SOMETHING! FEED MY NEED!! TALK TO ME!!!! Please. :)