Monday, January 19, 2009

I have a dream



Today is Martin Luther King Jr. Day. I’d find it hard to believe if someone told me they didn’t know who Martin Luther King Jr. was. Most people at least know him as a civil rights icon.

He was a Baptist minister that became a civil rights activist early in his career. He led the 1955 Montgomery Bus Boycott and helped found the Southern Christian Leadership Conference in 1957, serving as its first president.

He led the 1963 March on Washington, where he delivered his famous “I Have a Dream” speech. In 1964, he was the youngest person to receive the Nobel Peace Prize.

He worked to end racial segregation and discrimination through civil disobedience and other non-violent ways. He also opposed the Vietnam War and wanted to end poverty.

He was assassinated on April 4, 1968, in Memphis, Tennessee. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day was established as a U.S. holiday in 1986. Many parades and celebrations will occur today in honor of Martin Luther King Jr.

If you’ve never heard the “I Have a Dream” speech you can watch below. It’s a very moving piece and I hope one day ALL people will have the same rights and freedoms.



0 COMMENTS:

Post a Comment

If you can't fix it with duct tape, you haven't used enough.

You should really comment if you're here. It would make me very happy. I thrive on attention. You should know this by now. You should automatically click on the comment button and say SOMETHING! FEED MY NEED!! TALK TO ME!!!! Please. :)