Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Billy Powell dead at 56




Billy Powell, keyboardist for the legendary Southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd died this morning. He was one of the only two surviving members of the original band.

In 1977, a plane crash killed singer Ronnie Van Zant, guitarist Steve Gaines and backup vocalist Cassie Gaines. Founding guitarist Gary Rossington is now the sole survivor.

The Yahoo story said that Powell called 911 at five minutes before 1:00 a.m. He said he was having trouble breathing. By the time the paramedics arrived he was already dead.

I'm a big Lynyrd Skynyrd fan. This is a sad day. Lynyrd Skynyrd is almost no more. It's feels fitting to end this post with the lyrics from the song Billy Powell helped make famous.


If I leave here tomorrow
Would you still remember me?
For I must be traveling on, now,
cause there's too many places I've got to see.
But, if I stayed here with you, girl,
Things just couldn't be the same.
cause I'm as free as a bird now,
And this bird you can not change.
Lord knows, I can't change.

Bye, bye, it's been a sweet love.
Though this feeling I can't change.
But please don't take it badly,
cause Lord knows I'm to blame.
But, if I stayed here with you girl,
Things just couldn't be the same.
Cause I'm as free as a bird now,
And this bird you'll never change.
And this bird you can not change.
Lord knows, I can't change.
Lord help me, I can't change.

It HAS been a sweet love. Be free and fly. God speed.

0 COMMENTS:

Post a Comment

If you can't fix it with duct tape, you haven't used enough.

You should really comment if you're here. It would make me very happy. I thrive on attention. You should know this by now. You should automatically click on the comment button and say SOMETHING! FEED MY NEED!! TALK TO ME!!!! Please. :)