No, I'm not talking about your children. I'm talking about your dog. Dogs have a hard time at Halloween for many reasons. I got my daily Dog Crazy Newsletter from PetPlace.com and I think they summed it up very nicely. Read on.
Halloween can be a real nightmare for pets. Just imagine trick-or-treating from a pet's point of view. It's an absolute nightmare of doorbells that never stop ringing, loud scary noises in the night and a constant stream of annoying strangers coming into your home.
Halloween can be very stressful and dangerous for pets. And it's our job as good pet parents to be aware of the dangers and to keep our pets safe.
Bad things happen to good pets on Halloween. Pets are often teased, tortured, terrorized and even killed at this time of year.
And it's our job as good pet parents to be aware of the dangers and to keep our pets safe. Sadly, each year pets are terrorized and even killed by trick-or-treaters. Veterinary clinics also see a big rise in pet accidents and injuries on Halloween. The most common problems are poisoning, ingestion of foreign bodies, trauma from car accidents and bite wounds. Here are some good tips to keep in mind this Halloween:
1. Hide the candy. Keep all candy (and wrappers) out of your dog's reach. Candy is not good for dogs - especially chocolate. Problems can range from diarrhea and upset stomach to toxicity and even death.
2. Keep your dog on a leash. Don't leave your dog tied up outside. Keep him inside where it is safe. If you take your dog trick-or-treating, keep him on a short leash and hold it tightly to help keep him from fighting with other animals or biting strangers. Frequently scan the ground for dropped candy that your dog might eat.
3. Make a safe spot for your pet . During trick-or-treating, keep your dog indoors in a separate room that is as far from the front door as possible. This will prevent him from getting spooked by trick-or-treaters and running outside. Give your dog plenty of fresh water, a familiar blanket, and something to take his mind off all the commotion going on in other areas of the house.
They also gave us Today's Pet Tip about Halloween:
TODAY'S PET TIPI know our Peaches is very wary of people, especially kids. I'm sure our granddaughter Lexi picking her up 50 million times and then dropping her (on carpet and Lexi is short so it's not THAT far of a drop..don't worry!) has a lot to do with her mistrust. She's never mean, she's a runner. She runs & hides when kids come toward her & shakes like the leaves on a tree when the wind is blowing.
The arrival of Halloween brings fun parties, trick-or-treaters, and lots of delicious candies. However, some of the same goodies and decorations we humans are fond of can be potentially hazardous to our pets. The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center is offering pet owners some helpful hints to keep their pets healthy and safe during Halloween.
Halloween treats with chocolate are not appropriate for pets. Depending on the dose ingested, chocolate (bakers, semi sweet, milk and dark) can be potentially poisonous to many animals. In general, the less sweet the chocolate, the more toxic it could be. In fact, unsweetened baking chocolate contains almost seven times more theobromine as milk chocolate. Vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, hyperactivity and increased thirst, urination and heart rate can be seen with the ingestion of as little as 1/4 ounce of baking chocolate by a 10-pound dog.
Candies and gum containing large amounts of the sweetener xylitol can also be toxic to pets, as ingestions of significant quantities can produce a fairly sudden drop in blood sugar, resulting in depression, incoordination and seizures. Be sure to keep such products well out of the reach of your pets.
Regardless she IS ready for Halloween...
That's my girl ♥
I'm going to add some related posts at the bottom of this post that tell you about child safety on Halloween. That's super important too. After all, we'll have these three (Brae isn't old enough yet) goblins out on the street: