Thursday, April 29, 2010

Oil spill worsens off Gulf Coast



Disaster looms as oil slick closes on US coast
Photo courtesy Yahoo News

I am really upset by the oil spill that resulted from an oil rig explosion last week. I'm upset for obvious reasons. The effect on the environment. The loss of wildlife. The loss of human life.

I'm also upset because we were told one thing, that the well was leaking 1,000 barrels of oil a day into the ocean, when in reality it is much worse than that. The well is leaking 5,000 barrels of oil a day. That's 200,000 gallons of oil. Every day. 

According to the story I read today on Yahoo News, the spill is expected to surpass the disastrous Exxon Valdez spill that WAS the worst oil spill in history. That 1989 spill off Alaska's Prince William Sound leaked 11 million gallons of oil into the ocean. 


What they are saying about THIS spill:

The oil slick could become the nation's worst environmental disaster in decades, threatening hundreds of species of fish, birds and other wildlife along the Gulf Coast, one of the world's richest seafood grounds, teeming with shrimp, oysters and other marine life. Thicker oil was in waters south and east of the Mississippi delta about five miles offshore.
I am literally sick over this. I just don't know what else to say. I'm praying that they get this under control NOW. I'm so scared that they will turn this into some sort of we're-doing-what-we-can-but-really-not-doing-anything deal. I hope they DO really do something. I'm just scared they're taking too long already and that doesn't look good for our future.



post signature

0 COMMENTS: